In order to learn how to fight back, the student of PVP needs to realize that Eve Online combat is incredibly rich and diverse. It requires, not only character skill points, but also a good amount of player skills. The difference between a ship loss and a ship kill is more often the player skills than the character skills.
The goal of PVP-BASIC is to provide you with the basic skills and confidence required to fly as part of a successful PVP gang, as well as being an introduction to combat in 0.0 space. The lessons taught in PVP-BASIC are fundamental to Eve combat and are a starting point for the study of tactics, strategy and dynamics of Eve PVP. These skills are applicable to all kinds of Eve combat, regardless of whether you're defending your mining fleet from Pirate attacks, or stalking lawless space in search of targets of your own.
This class is aimed at players who are new to PVP, or have limited PVP experience.
The core topics this class will be covering are:
- Basic Fleet Maneuvering
- Basic PVP Mechanics
- Communication and Recon
PVP-BASIC is split into two sections:
- The "Class Portion" will be a mixture of theory and practical, generally taught in highsec and lowsec.
- "The Roam" where we head into 0.0 and put what you have learned to use in many hostile situations.
The class portion lasts around 2 hours. The roam lasts at least 2 hours, quite often more, but you are free to leave the roam at any time.
The skill requirements for the different races and weapon types are listed in the table below. These are the minimum skills you need to be able to fit and fly the class ships with basic T1 fittings.
Minimum Required Skills
|High Speed Maneuvering||1||1||1||1|
|Warp Drive Operation||3||3||3||3|
|Power Grid Management||3||3||3||3|
|Long Range Targeting||1||1||1||1|
|Small Energy Turret||1||-||-||-||-|
|Small Hybrid Turret||-||1||1||-||-|
|Small Projectile Turret||-||-||-||1||-|
|Missile Launcher Operation||-||-||-||-||2|
While not required we highly suggest you also train Launcher Rigging 1, Missile Projection 2 and Missile Bombardment 2 if you are will be flying a missile ship.
Some of our suggested fits include a very small shield tank. For these suggested fittings, you will also need Shield Upgrades 1+ (which requires Science 1) and possibly Energy Management II (to fit a Micro Auxiliary Power Core if needed).
Many of our suggested fits include rigs. Rigs are not required on your ship, but if you wish to fit them you will need a minimum of Mechanic III and Jury Rigging III plus the relevant specific Rigging skill to at least level 1.
The instructor will assume you are properly prepared and ready in the staging system at the announced class start time.
- Read all of the articles listed as Required below, especially the PVP-Basic Preparation Checklist. You do not need to wait for class enrollment to open to read these articles.
- Setup your overview before class.
- Depending on your computer make any applicable client setup changes. We will not cover this in class.
- Buy and fit at least 2 ships (recommended 3) and move them to the course location. The course location will be listed in the enrollment thread on the forums.
- Log in to Teamspeak before the class to verify that your microphone and headset are working.
- Join the Agony Public chat channel.
- Arrive before the class and set your clone location to the starting system of the class.
Required Reading Material