In order to learn how to fight back, the student of PVP needs to realize that Eve Online combat is incredibly rich and diverse. It requires not only character skill points but also a good amount of player skills. The difference between a ship loss and a ship kill is more often the player skills than the character skills.
The goal of PVP-BASIC is to provide you with the basic skills and confidence required to fly as part of a successful PVP gang, as well as being an introduction to combat in 0.0 space. The lessons taught in PVP-BASIC are fundamental to Eve combat and are a starting point for the study of tactics, strategy and dynamics of Eve PVP. These skills are applicable to all kinds of Eve combat, regardless of whether you're defending your mining fleet from Pirate attacks, or stalking lawless space in search of targets of your own.
This class is aimed at players who are new to PVP, or have limited PVP experience.
The core topics this class will be covering are:
- General Ship Fitting, Fleet Roles and Electronic Warfare
- Safespots and Basic Fleet Movement
- Scanning and Recon
- Basic PVP Mechanics
PVP-BASIC is split into two sections:
- The "Class Portion" will be a mixture of theory and practical, generally taught in highsec and lowsec.
- "The Roam" where we head into 0.0 and put what you have learned to use in many hostile situations.
The class portion lasts around 2 to 2.5 hours. The roam lasts at least 2 hours, quite often more, but you are free to leave the roam at any time.
Minimum Recommended Skills
- Caldari, Amarr, Gallente or Minmatar Frigate 3+
- Afterburner 1+
- Propulsion Jamming 1+
- Sensor Linking 1+
- Warp Drive Operation 3+
- Weapon Disruption 1+
- Electronic Warfare 1+
- Hull Upgrades 2+
- Weapon Upgrades 1+
- CPU Management 3+
- Power Grid Management 3+
For light missile launchers:
- Missile Launcher Operation 1+
- Light Missiles 1+
- Launcher Rigging 1+
- Highly suggest Missile Projection 2+ and Missile Bombardment 2+
For hybrid turrets:
- Gunnery 1+
- Small Hybrid Turret 1+
For projectile turrets:
- Gunnery 1+
- Small Projectile Turret 1+
For Energy turrets (lasers):
- Gunnery 1+
- Small Energy Turret 1+
- Rockets 1+
- Missile Projection 2+
- Missile Bombardment 2+
- Drones 1+
- Light Drone Operation 1+
Some of our suggested fits include a very small shield tank. For these suggested fittings, you will also need Shield Upgrades 1+ (which requires Science 1) and possibly Energy Management II (to fit a Micro Auxiliary Power Core if needed). If you don't have these skills trained, simply fit one of the ewar modules (tracking disruptor or sensor dampener) instead.
Many of our suggested fits include rigs. Rigs are not required on your ship, but if you wish to fit them you will need a minimum of Mechanic III and Jury Rigging III plus the relevant specific Rigging skill to at least level 1.
The instructor will assume you have read all the articles below before the class starts. Please also make sure you have a working headset or speakers prior to class start.
- Read the Agony Empire Rules of Engagement
- Read all of the articles listed below, especially the PVP-Basic Preparation Checklist. You do not need to wait for class enrollment to open to read these articles.
- Setup your overview before class, we do NOT cover this in class. Overview Setup.
- Make any applicable client setup changes, we do NOT cover this in class. Configuring the EVE client for PVP v2.0.
- Buy and fit at least 2 ships (recommended 3) and move them to the course location. Note that we will swap out EWAR in class so bring a range of spare EWAR modules.
- Log into Teamspeak before the class to verify that your microphone and headset are working.
- Arrive BEFORE the class, set your clone location to the starting system of the class, and make sure your clone is up to date.
For your convenience, all of our PVP Basics class reading materials are now available for your Kindle or Kindle App! Click Here to download the Agony PVP Basics Kindle Book. Please note that the Kindle version has NOT been updated for Retribution yet.
The first ten articles linked below have been updated for Retribution, the rest are in progress!
- PVP-Basic Preparation Checklist
- The Hydra Principle
- Recommended Ship Setups for BASIC
- Fleet Navigation in 0.0
- Basic PvP Mechanics
- An Introduction to Tracking and Orbiting
- Voice Communications in PvP
- Overview Setup
- Undocking: It's not as simple as you think!
- Clones and Podding
- Using Neo's Fleet Manager Tool Note that you won't be able to actually use the Fleet Manager before class day, but do read this page so you know the basics of using it during the class.
- Tracking and Spiralling (13 mins) Please DO watch this video before class!
- Killmails and Killboards (3 minutes) Optional video. If you are not already familiar with killmails and killboards, then this short video is highly recommended.
- Configuring the EVE client for PVP v2.0
- Getting Maximum PvP Value From Your Skill Training
- Bubbles and Warping
- Tactical Miniwarp